Last Thursday Governor Doyle held a press conference at the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center where he highlighted key findings from a new report by The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Tobacco Tax Choices for Wisconsin-- Continue Subsidizing Smoking or Save Lives and Save Money?.
Some highlights from the report, the bad news first:
- Every year 7,300 adults in Wisconsin die from smoking
- Every year 8,200 more kids become addicted daily smokers
- Smoking-caused health costs in Wisconsin total more than $2.02 billion yearly
- Decrease youth smoking by 20.9%
- 84,000 kids wouldn't grow up to be addicted adult smokers
- 42,500 current adult smokers will quit for good