Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Power of Story

Just last week I attended a three day training with many of my colleagues in tobacco control on digital storytelling. A small group of us, most of whom have vastly more experience in tobacco control came together to learn how to create digital stories. Nearly of all us told stories about our experiences in this work and shared our stories of how and why we work in tobacco control. Despite all of us telling stories about virtually the same movement, the way we saw it and experienced it were vastly different. Each of us has a story to tell and each story is powerful and meaningful. The training was wonderful and deeply moving to say the least. If you like stories, I highly recommend trying to connect with the wonderful trainers and attending events hosted by these folks. 

I wanted to share my story with you so you can learn more about how powerful stories can be. The folks over at tobwis are thinking about ways to utilize story in our work.



I am looking forward to hearing everyone's stories, as I am sure my work will inspire you to speak as well. This is the season to reflect on our values and to share out what those values are.

No comments: