Wednesday, February 20, 2008

IA going smoke-free too?


The Iowa House passed a statewide smoke-free bill on a 55-44 vote last night. The law would go into effect on July 1st of this year. The bill is headed to the IA Senate next.

Readers: what do you think about that implementation timeline? MN took 5 months and IL took 7 months. We've already had a bill in the Legislature for over a year - everyone knows this is coming - yet smoke-free opponents in WI seem to think we need 2, 3, or more years to adjust. Weigh in by entering your comments below!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid if I comment, I will say something I regret. I am sickened and disgusted by our state lawmakers right now. I never thought I'd see the day when the WI Tavern League would rule over legislation. How sad that IOWA and MINNESOTA are ahead of WI in this game.

Coalition Coordiator said...

I'll agree completely with the previous post. Do our lawmakers not realize that an elction is coming up? Do they not realize that two-thirds of the population supports this. Removing an ashtry and placing a sign does not require 2-3 years. Come on already, grow a pair!

Anonymous said...

The state's reputation as environmental advocates must not translate to it's most precious resource - it's people!